Monday, November 8, 2010

Pain and Sweet Reward

I had my bone marrow test today. It was painful!...for less than two seconds.

Here is what a BMT is:

A bone marrow aspiration is a procedure to collect a small amount of bone marrow cells or tissue for testing by a hematologist. Here are the steps to a bone marrow aspiration.

The bone marrow test is usually done as an office procedure. The patient is usually asked to lie prone (on his abdomen) or to one side. The marrow sample is usually taken from the hip bone. The skin is cleansed with an antiseptic, and a local anesthetic is injected to make the skin numb.

For bone marrow aspiration, a thin needle is inserted into the bone and advanced inwards with a slow rotating movement till the marrow is reached. A small amount of liquid marrow is withdrawn.

The needle is removed and pressure is applied over the area to stop any bleeding. The area may be covered with a small antiseptic dressing. The patient is asked to keep lying down for 10-15 minutes. He or she is then free to leave.

-----
My mom heard me cry out in pain. For my "reward", she treated me to Sushi-Ya in Tomas Morato. We were the first and only customers at that time.

We ordered Bento Box consisting of soup, California Maki, hagedashi tofu, ebi tempura, and rice. I had Coke Zero, my mom had iced tea.

It's been a long time since we last ate out. It was a sweet reward indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave an honest comment but if you can't be honest, be kind