Monday, July 19, 2010

Know Thyself

The following quote came by email:

“The most excellent and divine counsel, the best and most profitable advertisement of all others, but the least practiced, is to study and learn how to know ourselves. This is the foundation of wisdom and the highway to whatever is good.”
--Pierre Charron

Earlier today, I took an online survey to measure my level of happiness. My score? 57% ha ha. That's "above average". That means I'm happier than many or most but not extremely happy. Well, not to sound redundant, I'm happy with my score.

How well do I know myself? Pretty much since I'm quite introspective. I am friendly and can make friends easily. I find it easy to love people because I focus on the positive in every one. I can tolerate even difficult persons. I am glad that I have no enemies in the world (at least, none that I know of).

I have a sense of humor, corny though it is. I am fun-loving. I know how to entertain myself and have learned how to have a good time even in the confines of my home.

I am kind and compassionate. I am patient. I am a good listener.

Pardon me for boasting but "modesty" keeps me from adding to the long list of positive traits that I have.

I do have my flaws. I am guilty of "ningas kugon". I can be lazy. I eat too much. I don't know how to cook. I am very poor in current events, politics, history and geography.

I could go on and on but the path to self-knowledge is far from over.

-----------
Here's a beautiful quote:



Another quote is from Larry Page (one of the founders of Google) when he said that he learned this phrase in college:

"Have a healthy disregard for the impossible"

Yes, even sick people like me can dream the impossible...and make this world a better place. Ha ha sounds corny but who knows what lies ahead?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave an honest comment but if you can't be honest, be kind