Friday, April 22, 2011

Good Friday

Good Friday is a day when commercial establishments and offices are closed.

I don't have work either.

And I am at a loss on what to say on this day of all days.

This is supposed to be a day of fasting and abstinence...but well, I'm exempted.

I watched part of the 7 Last Words on TV but we reached the sixth word already. So I read some reflections on the Internet.

My own brief reflections?

1) "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do." (Luke 23:34)

Jesus, in His supreme mercy, asks for forgiveness for those who tortured Him. Such great love!

2) "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" (Matthew 27:46)

A cry of agony on the cross. To be forsaken by one's own Father must be the deepest pain of all...yet He bore it.

3) He said to his mother, "Woman, behold your son!" Then he said to the disciple, "Behold your mother!" (John 19:26-27)

Mary was right there as Jesus was dying and Jesus saw to it that someone would take care of her. Till the end, He was a devoted son, and she, a loving mother.

4) "I thirst!" (John 19:28)

Christ was thirsty...He thirsted not only for water but for the love of mankind. How many times do we make God thirst by the way we live?

5) "Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise." (Luke 23:43)

Words that give hope to those of us who lead a less than holy life. Sinners hang on to these comforting words when it seems they are beyond salvation.

6) "It is finished!" (John 19:30)

Mission accomplished. How wonderful to say these very words at the end of our life.

7) "Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit." (Luke 23:46)

As Christ breathes His last, He surrenders to the will of His Father. From beginning to end, doing the will of God was His goal in life. What about us?

----------
We, Maryknollers, used to add the word "make" in every sentence such as...

...Hala ka, I will make you sumbong to the principal.

...Can I make you paki-usap something?

...I will make you pukpok in the head.

...Wait, I need to make asikaso something.

And so on.

Funny how an entire school of girls could mangle the English language that way.

But thank God, I don't hear my batchmates speak that way anymore...likewise, the younger generations.

-----------
Back to Good Friday. Here's a picture worth reflecting on.




1 comment:

Leave an honest comment but if you can't be honest, be kind