Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Sandra Bullock and Me


Yesterday, I did something really, really bad. I felt terrible! And so I wept and wept like a baby...no, more like the way Mary Magdalene must have wept.

But God, in His wisdom, made me watch a movie. It's entitled "28 Days" starring Sandra Bullock.

Sandra and I, we "share" a number of things. She's an actress...I don't have a single acting cell in my body. She's famous...I'm not yet there. She's sexy...I'm a bit chubby. She's beautiful...I'm pretty. See how much we have in common?

In the movie, Sandra plays the role of Gwen Cummings, a successful New York journalist and party girl. Problem is, she can never tell when she has had enough to drink. She's addicted to pills, too. And so, she ruined her one and only sister's wedding. Rather than go to jail, she was forced to spend time in a rehabilitation center. We see her transformation from resistant, reluctant "inmate" to recovering alcoholic. We meet other interesting characters but all of them have some form of addiction - alcohol, drugs, sex, nicotine, etc. In the end, Gwen comes to terms with her past and takes concrete steps to avoid the mistakes she made. One difficult decision she made was break up with her long-time boyfriend who was her no. 1 BI (bad influence).

Why am I telling you this? Because, like Gwen, I too have an addiction, a bondage. Like her, I have to break free. And mind you, I'm taking steps in that direction.

How appropriate that the reading for today says "...let us rid ourselves of every burden and sin that clings to us, and persevere in running the race that lies before us while keeping our eyes fixed on Jesus, the leader and perfecter of faith." (Hebrews 12: 1-2)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave an honest comment but if you can't be honest, be kind